Surroundings can have an impact on a person’s mental and physical well-being – with serviced office KL and workspaces being no exception to this. With employees spending majority of their waking hours in the office, it’s hardly surprising that the workplace environment has a significant impact on their overall wellbeing.
Interestingly enough, according to the Fellowes Workplace Wellness Trend Report, it found that an overwhelming majority (87%) of workers would like their current employer to offer healthier workspace benefits, with options ranging from wellness rooms, company fitness benefits, sit-stands, healthy lunch options and ergonomic seating.
Today, we discuss the aspects involved in it which work simultaneously to achieve this goal.
According to the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI), the ideal workspace should follow the WELL Building Standard – the premier standard for buildings, interior spaces and communities seeking to implement, validate and measure features that support and advance human health and wellness. This standard looks at seven key aspects that, together, have an influence on employees’ wellbeing, satisfaction, performance and productivity.
1. Air: The quality of the air affects employee mood and concentration, showing an 11% increase in productivity when offices have increased levels of fresh air. For better air quality, consider open windows, no-smoking policies, air filtration systems and even office plants!
2. Water: The amount of water consumed keeps the mind operating at full capacity for longer, improving our ability to focus, our clarity, and alertness. Consider adding more water coolers around the office for easier access to hydration.
3. Nourishment: This requires the availability of fresh, wholesome foods available throughout the workspace, while limiting unhealthy ingredients (say goodbye to processed foods!) and encouraging better eating habits and food culture.
4. Light: The quality of light while you work is important. According to research from Cornell University, it showed that employees sitting 10 feet from a window in natural daylight enjoyed an 84% decrease in eyestrain, headaches, and blurred vision. When it comes to office design, it’s worth adding more natural daylight to the space. Consider moving moving office furniture that blocks sunlight or adding skylights.
5. Fitness: Based on the WELL Building Standard, integrating physical activity in the workplace is key to employee wellbeing. To encourage this, consider setting up adjustable standing workstations, open stairs or an on-site gym.
6. Comfort: Studies have shown that ergonomics plays a part in helping with muscle fatigue and musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs), while enhancing productivity. Reduce strain and pain while working with ergonomically designed seats, sit-stand workstations, hot-desks, footrests, and ensuring monitors are at eye-level.
7. Mind: Mental wellness is largely important in our lives, not just at work. In fact, according to the Global Impact of Biophilic Design in the Workplace, employees who work in offices with natural features have 15% greater wellbeing, feel 6% more productive and 15% more creative. To achieve this, create collaborative spaces, de-stress spaces, or even a napping pod to recharge.
It’s essential that employers take the physical work environment of their employees into consideration. Employees need to feel comfortable and calm in their physical work settings to produce their best work.
From offering private rooms to take a call and quiet spaces for meditation to fun, comfortable areas that foster collaboration, it’s imperative to think about building office spaces with different environments to maximise employee wellbeing.
At Colony, we’re setting a new standard for the workplace, and we believe in creating a happier, healthier and more productive work environment. Together with our team, we’ve worked hard to ensure that (almost) everything you’ve ever wanted in an office space is right here.
Located across five locations across the Klang Valley, each Colony location is designed as a unique personality of its own, with designs integrating European architecture with contemporary furnitures, providing a warm and welcoming space that adapts to the modern palate.
All our offices are equipped with sturdy workstations, ultra-ergonomic chairs, air-conditioning, and carpeted floors. You can settle for our fully furnished rooms or live your interior designing dream. We’re happy to customise and design a plan for you to ensure that your time with us is as best as it can be.
Looking for a vibrant office space to call your own? Step into our premises and book a tour to view one of the most stylish coworking spaces in Malaysia. Take advantage of our ‘Business Encouragement’ initiative to help you stay agile and flexible.
Under this initiative, businesses can enjoy subsidised packages offering up to 3 months of free office rental and up to 50% off on events and meeting room bookings.
Book a tour today by contacting us via our email at email@example.com or at +60 18-213 8086 to learn more about our Serviced Office KL.